- In June 2022, the RBI permitted RuPay credit card linkage to UPI.
- Banks like Axis, HDFC, and others that offer RuPay credit cards can link their accounts to GPay for UPI payments.
- The same procedure as other UPI transactions can be used by users to perform credit card UPI transactions.
By Divya Bhati: In recent years, the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) has gained popularity in India. It provides a simple and safe way to pay for goods and services. Google Pay is one of the widely used payment channels that are readily available. Users are able to utilise their bank account, debit card, and now certain credit cards to make UPI payments.
Users were initially able to send UPI payments using their bank accounts thanks to the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). The integration of RuPay credit cards with UPI, however, was just made possible thanks to a partnership with Google Pay. Users no longer need to bring their credit card around with them while making purchases thanks to this integration, which only requires them to scan the QR code of the retailer.
All RuPay credit card holders from illustrious banks like Axis Bank, Indian Bank, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, Punjab National Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, and Union Bank of India now have access to this service, according to RuPay. Customers have also been informed by RuPay that additional banks will shortly implement this new programme.
So, you may now link your RuPay credit card from one of the banks listed above to Google Pay to make purchases. Here’s how to use your credit card to make UPI payments with GPay.
How to use credit card on GPay
Step 1: In your Gpay account, add the RuPay Credit Card.
- On your phone, launch the Google Pay application.
- Navigate to the app’s settings menu.
- In the “Setup payment method” menu, choose “Add RuPay credit card.”
- Your RuPay credit card’s last six numbers, expiration date, and PIN must be entered.
Step 2: Use the RuPay Credit Card on UPI by activating it.
- To activate the card, click “RuPay credit card on UPI” in your Google Pay profile.
- The bank that issued your RuPay credit card should be chosen.
- For your RuPay credit card, create a special UPI PIN.
- You can now accept UPI payments with your RuPay credit card.
- Select UPI as the payment option on the merchant’s payment portal.
- Type in the UPI ID or scan the QR code that the retailer has provided.
- Verify the payment amount, then finalise the transaction by entering your UPI PIN.
Notably, the RuPay credit cards were able to be linked to the UPI platform in June 2022 thanks to RBI permission. This endeavour is a step towards gaining access to digital payments’ convenience.