What is SSC CGL?
SSC CGL is a national-level exam conducted by Staff Selection Commission (SSC) to shortlist candidates for Group B and C posts in various ministries/ departments/ organisations of the Government of India. Every year, about 30 lakh candidates fill the SSC CGL application form and about 15 lakh aspirants appear for the exam.
The exam is conducted in four stages called tiers. The first two tiers of the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) exam are conducted in online mode. The next two tiers of the exam are held in offline mode.
- Staff Selection Commission has released an important notification, advising aspirants to fill SSC CGL application form 2019 much before the closing date, that is, November 25.
- SSC CGL 2019 notification: The Staff Selection Commission has released the SSC CGL 2019 notification on October 22. Along with the notification, the commission has also released SSC CGL 2019 APPLICATION FORM Interested and eligible candidates can apply online for SSC CGL exam on the official website of the comission.
- SSC CGL 2019 exam dates: As per SSC CGL 2019 EXAM Calendar eleased by the commission ealier, SSC CGL tier-I exam will be conducted from March 2-11 and tier-II & III exams will be held from June 22-25.
SSC CGL Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level) 2019|
|Conducting Body||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Exam Mode||Online & offline|
|Exam Duration||Tier-I: 60 minutes |
Tier-II: 120 minutes for each paper
Tier-III: 60 minutes
|Exam Purpose||Selection of candidates for Group B and C posts in ministries/ departments/ organisations of the Government of India|
|Exam Language||English and Hindi|
|Exam Helpdesk No.||011-69999845|
SSC CGL Eligibility 2019
SSC CGL 2019 eligibility criteria varies as per the post applied by the candidate. However, given below is the basic criteria that candidates need to fulfill in order to meet SSC CGL eligibility:
- A candidate must be either a citizen of India, a person of India origin, subject of Nepal/ Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee
- A candidate should be between 18 and 30 years in age
- A candidate should complete bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or institute
Important SSC CGL Exam Dates & Events 2019
Check important dates and events related to SSC CGL 2019 exam below:
|SSC CGL Exam Events||SSC CGL Exam Dates||SSC CGL Salient Features|
|Release of notification||October 22, 2019||Notification has been released on the official website|
|Release of application forms||October 22, 2019||Application forms have been released on the official website|
|Last date to submit application forms||November 25, 2019||Last date for submitting application forms on the official website|
|Last date for online fee payment||November 27, 2019 (till 5:00 PM)||Last date for paying SSC CGL application fee of Rs 100 online|
|Last date for generation of offline challan||November 27, 2019 (till 5:00 PM)||Last date for generating offline challan for making application fee payment|
|Last date for payment through challan||November 29, 2019 (during working hours)||Last date for making application fee payment through challan|
|Tier-I exam starts||March 2, 2020||Tier-I exam to be conducted from March 2|
|Tier-I exam ends||March 11, 2020||Tier-I exam to be conducted till March 11|
|Tier-II & III exams start||June 22, 2020||Tier-II & III exams to be conducted from June 22|
|Tier-II & III exams end||June 25, 2020||Tier-II & III exams to be conducted till June 25|
SSC CGL Selection Procedure
SSC CGL selection process includes the following stages/ tiers:
- Tier-I: SSC CGL tier-I is a computer-based exam that contains objective-type Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) of 200 marks. Candidates clearing the tier-I paper are called to appear for tier-II exam.
- Tier-II: SSC CGL tier-II is again a computer-based exam that is divided into four papers. Each paper contains 100 MCQs of 200 marks. Candidates clearing the tier-II exam are called to appear for tier-III paper.
- Tier-III: SSC CGL tier-III is a pen-and-paper based exam that is descriptive in nature. Candidates clearing the tier-III exam need to appear for the next stage – tier-IV.
- Tier-IV: In tier-IV, either computer proficiency test, skill test or document verification is conducted as per the post applied by the candidate. Candidates clearing this stage of the exam are finally allotted Group-B and C posts in various ministries/ departments/ organisations of the Government of India.
Important FAQs Regarding SSC CGL Exam
Q: How many stages does SSC CGL exam contain?
A: SSC CGL exam contains four stages:
- Tier-I: Online exam
- Tier-II: Online exam
- Tier-III Offline exam
- Tier-IV: Computer proficiency test/ skill test/ document verification
Q: How many times is SSC CGL conducted in a year?
A: Each stage (tier-I, II, III and IV) of SSC CGL exam is conducted once a year.
Q: Is there an age limit to appear for SSC CGL exam?
A: SSC CGL age limit differs as per the post applied. However, candidates need to be minimum 18 years in age to apply for any SSC CGL post.